Thursday, April 22, 2010

Quote of the Day: Bookworm from the Bookworm Room

I'm not quoting her Rush Limbaugh post, which was excellent and deserving of the attention it received--if you want to read it, go here.  The quote of the day is from her post regarding the Gay San Francisco Softball team that had its second place standing revoked because they were 'too straight'  Her comments regarding the detrimental effects of identity politics on our society cut right to the chase:
Identity politics is the antithesis of the individualism that was always the bedrock of the American identity.  I am the sum of my many, many parts, large numbers of which are, and should be, invisible to the public eye.  I refuse to have one of those parts be held as so overwhelmingly important that society forces me into certain belief systems and behaviors antithetical to the whole me.
When someone only identifies themselves by a specific trait, they are automatically negating the rest and aren't allowing anyone to see them as a whole person--they are basically a walking label and sometimes devolve into caricature.

No comments: