Monday, March 1, 2010

Musing on what's important...

A friend and colleague of mine died suddenly of a heart attack last week.  He, I think, lived every day to its fullest.  He was involved with his church, his family, his co-workers, and his students (not necessarily in that order).  He was a church-going man but he was never preachy--the way he lived his life was to be an example to others--he walked the walk and didn't find it necessary to talk the talk.  He found some joy in each day and tried to share it, whether it was a really cool cloud formation or just a smile, a wave, and a friendly hello.  He was gentle, caring, and wicked smart.  He always got the joke and laughed, even when it was off-color.  He didn't mind my language (I curse like a sailor, most of the time) and would join me sometimes.  He seemed to be unflappable.  My life is richer for having known him, even for a relatively short time. 

If I've learned anything from my friend, it is to try and LISTEN and to find at least one joy in each and every day--even if it's as ephemeral as a wicked cool weather front.

No comments: