Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Republicans and misconceptions

Today Mr. B called me from the road to clue me about Michael Steele speaking on WLS this morning (sorry I kept you on the phone so long darlin'-you got me on a roll and I get clueless when I'm on a roll).  In any case, Mr. Steele seems to suffer under the misconception that the Tea Partiers and 9/12'ers are aligned with the Republican party, which is not the case at all. 
 
Any party that would throw their support behind someone like DeeDee Scozzafava. who was so far to the left ideologically that she couldn't even see the middle and ignore a viable candidate like Scott Brown, is not the Republican party that I can be a part of.  Any party that would put a RINO like John McCain up as a viable candidate is not a party that I can be a part of.  Any party that would start this Keynesian economics debacle is not a party I can be a part of.  I can support an organization that adheres to conservative values:  small government, lower taxes, free enterprise, state sovereignty, citizens' rights.  Right now the Republicans are not that organization but I have a feeling that it might change.

I'm finding it to be quite interesting, listening to the Primary Posturing over in Illinois--the Republicans are all trying to show conservative values.  One guy, Dan Proft, is actually saying in his advertisement that he is a "Conservative Republican" running for Governor (and he's got his tax returns online which is demonstrating some transparency too). Adam Andrzejewski is running as a financial reformer/small government candidate but doesn't come straight out and say that he's a conservative but he's IMPLYING that he's a conservative.

I'm kind of curious to see what happens in Massachusetts.  I think that Republican Scott Brown actually has a chance for Senator due to the hubris of Martha "I'm on vacation." Coakley , the Democratic candidate (not hurting Brown any is the fact that the Globe seems to have a hate-on for Coakley). Combine that with the fact that Senator Chris Dodd is (thankfully) taking a powder, aka retirement, before he's publically humiliated as well as Senator Byron Dorgan.  Democratic Governor Bill Ritter in Colorado also announced that he's bowing out.  The fact that Parker Griffith, the freshman Congressman from Alabama was so disgusted with his party that he switched to Republican I think is telling.

When I was a poli-sci major back in the mid-eighties, it was pretty simple.  The Republicans were:  great with foreign policy, small government, low taxes-especially for business, sucked on domestic issues.  The Democrats were:  great on domestic issues, big government, higher taxes (to fund the domestic issues), and sucked on foreign policy.  Somehow in the intervening decades, the Republicans became DNC light, which is not something that I can appreciate.

It should be an interesting election year.

No comments: