Monday, July 6, 2009

You know it's just one of those days when....

Got a call from a friend today. Her husband has mentioned the 'd' word. When someone says that 'we should talk about maybe getting divorced' then you know that in their mind, they're already set on it. Once that word is on the table, there really doesn't seem to be much else to do. She described his behavior--he has been a dickweed for the last month or so--she can't put her foot right. She finally got to the point where she said 'your behavior is hurting me and making me unhappy', which she had every right to say. And the discussion led to the above.

All I know is that she's my friend and she's hurting. I don't know enough about the inner workings of her marriage of the last ten years to understand more. All I know is that the love of one person can't make it happen, it's got to be both people wanting to work together. There's no magick spell or working that can make it happen (I could go into the magickal logistics but it would be too confusing-suffice to say, all of those kiddie books to the contrary, can't work, especially long-term).

It's a gift of the Gods that lets us love so completely and that we have the free Will to do so. Love as Thou Wilt. But why can't love make things better? It's what makes the world go 'round but what happens when the world gets in the way? Why can't there be anything good and pure and true--Perfect Love and Perfect Trust not as a goal but as a reality?? Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I have to believe it's possible, difficult maybe, but always worth the shot.

In any case, right now, hearing the pain in my friend's voice as her ten year marriage is over, it totally sucks ass.

No comments: