This morning I noticed that a compact florescent light bulb had burnt out in the guest room so I got up on a chair to change it out. Sure as anything, it slid right out my hand and on a pile of clothes. And broke. Really, shattered. And sent shards all over the place. And if you look on the internet, this type of incident is second only to living near Fukishima or at the Love Canal in the need for hazmat remediation. ZOMG! Shut down your air conditioner and open the windows! Hide the pets! Put on your respirator and coveralls and prepare for decon!
I did vacuum it up and rinsed out the drum afterwards even though the online fearmonging site said to only use duct tape and wet cloths for clean up to avoid the miniscule amount of mercury released from contaminating the whole house. But "they" even recommend throwing out the clothes that you wore while cleaning it up. Apparently "they" have a much larger clothing budget than I do. The clothes upon which this item from hell shattered are going in the wash. So are the clothes I had on this morning while cleaning up. Some of the shards landed on my overnight bag that was pretty pricey. I'm going to live on the edge and just settle with wiping it down with a wet paper towel.
I like the cost savings of using these things, but dang, I'm thinking incandescent bulbs from now on, if I can find any. Too much stress.
4 months ago