Saturday, June 21, 2014

Snakes (and not in a plane)

So it seems that every time Old NFO travels Down Under, that it is some sort of deadly snake season and they seem to lurk, awaiting unwary tourists.  Murphy's Law goes hiking out West and what does he find...  a snake.  I seem to recall that some time ago Chas had an unpleasant encounter with a baby rattler and was in the hospital for a couple of days.  I used to want to see Australia and check out some caves and hike in the Southwestern US, but after these revelations, maybe not so much...


Pretty sure Indiana Jones put it best.....



4 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

My only regret is that I didn't get a good recording of his rattling. That was an awesome sound that stopped me in my tracks several seconds before I figured out what it actually was. I just instinctively knew that it was something really, really bad.

Midwest Chick said...

That would have been great! I only have the old Westerns to go by. Interesting how instincts kicked in though!

Old NFO said...

At least the snakes out west rattle... sigh

juvat said...

When I was a kid, one of the Instructors in my Dad's flight had just come back from Vietnam. He threw a party and they were all out back drinking beer and telling stories. This guy told a story of being scrambled on a CAS mission and dropping bombs on a trail in support of a ground unit. After exiting the target, the FAC credited them with a confirmed Kill...of a Cobra! Don't know if it was true or not, but calling in an airstrike on a snake is, IMHO, GOOD use of Tactical Air!