Thursday, May 8, 2014

Time in a seat does not necessarily equal quality

If, just once more, someone tells me that they've been doing something for 20 years, holding that number up like a Talisman of Quality, when I've been fixing their fuckups for the last loooong while because they hold onto bad processes and refuse to either learn or listen, I am going to punch them in the head. 

Twenty years in the same position just means that you were neither bad enough to get fired nor good enough to promoted and does not give you the wherewithal to pull attitude.

Gah!

5 comments:

Monkeywrangler said...

Sounds like you had a fun day at work, MC!

Just be glad you don't work for the Deathstar...you and my husband could certainly swap horror stories!

Steve_in_CA said...

It always amazes me when people claim to have 20 years experience; whereas, in reality, they have 1 year experience 20 times.

Old NFO said...

Welcome to 'my' week... sigh

Midwest Chick said...

Monkey: It was the whole week! I can't imagine what your husband has been going through.

Steve: Yep, and they didn't go it right that first year either.

NFO: Sorry about that--sounds like we've had similar experiences. Putting it aside for the weekend-hope you can do the same.

og said...

I have the same issue. There are people who have been doing very difficult jobs- and doing them well- for many years. Those people are different than the ones who have been chair jockeys, occupying the same space on account of not being worth the effort firing or killing them. I wish you a lot of luck.