Monday, April 28, 2014

NRA Convention 2014--Day 2--Shooter Self Care Class

Day 2 started with Kelly Grayson's Shooter Self Care Class.  He was helped by EMS Artifact a.k.a. Too Old to Work, Too Young to Retire and Murphy's Law--Old NFO also threw in words of wisdom regarding the history and usefulness of some of the items that came up.  The collective knowledge contained in the room was impressive.

I did learn a few new things and I think the triage portion was very important--things that look like they are important may not be and things that look inoccuous might have caused extensive damage.  I'm not sure I will ever get the 'liver picture' out of my head--no, I wasn't the one who hit the floor.

There have been lots of changes in "conventional wisdom" since I took a first aid course twenty years ago for my first professional job (the science is always settled you know).  What was once bad, is now the first resort, and moving blood around and around inside a body is really important.  Annie looks a lot different too....   I also learned that two minutes of chest compressions is a really, really long time.

It was very nice to get some pointers from Bill at e.IA.f.t.  regarding tourniquets and the best way to put one on yourself.  Also, as Kelly said, practice until it's muscle memory, the same as with any firearm drill.

Kelly thanked a few folks and I'd like to add mine to that:  Thanks to Larry Weeks from Brownells (a super guy) for snack foods and other items, Craig Gray from Bound Tree Medical (helped cut down the cost on the great pack that I'm debating on either putting in my range bag or taking to work), and Jon Kavanaugh at Franciscan St. Francis Health Center for providing a great place to hold the course.  If I ever need a hospital and I'm anywhere close to Indy, I know where I want to go for care.

The other participants were also great--one of the INGO guys was there and we got to chat for a bit.  Gotta say, I am lovin' men in kilts--more on that later.  It was four hours, but dang, it flew by.

After providing some items that I always carry with me to help someone regain their equilibrium, Mr B and I took off for downtown to meet some friends for lunch.


Craig Gray from Bound Tree Medical, Larry Weeks from Brownell’s, and Jon Kavanagh from Franciscan St. Francis Health System - See more at: http://www.ambulancedriverfiles.com/2014/04/26/shooter-self-care-class-after-action-report/#disqus_thread



6 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

It was great to have you and Mr. B in class!

Midwest Chick said...

We had a great time. It was nice getting to chat at the Meet also!

Nosmo King said...

Any additional info on the Bound Tree pack you're looking at?

Midwest Chick said...

Nosmo: AD put them together, but they contain: a SOFTT-W 1.5" tourniquet, a HALO seal, latex gloves, petrolatum gauze, 2 4x4" gauze pads, Bloodstopper gauze roll, scissors, tape, a triagular bandage, and another bandage roll. The pack itself can be attached to any other pack or bag.

TOTWTYTR said...

It was nice to meet you both. I'm glad you enjoyed the class.

The only constant in medicine is that everything changes.

Midwest Chick said...

Really enjoyed both the class and talking with you. The only constant in anything is change...