Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Knife talk...

We went to a small gun and knife show on Saturday, before the start of Coldmaggedon.  While there wasn't a whole lot to see, there was a table with knives so I naturally gravitated to that space.  The guys were pretty nice but kind of started out on the wrong foot by waving a set of kitchen knives at me.  They were Ethan Becker, but hey, I don't do the cooking and told them so.

Once we got that bit of idiocy out of the way, the serious conversation began--I'm not a knife expert but I'm starting to be able to hold my own.....   Nice Strider you've got there.  Ah, I already have the Boker AK automatic.  Hey TOPS over here?  Are those Shadow Tech blades?  The guys at this point are staring at me somewhat dumbfounded as they showed me their Fiddleback Forge offerings. 

One of the guys offered to take me to dinner and I'm pretty sure he proposed after I mentioned that my EDC was a Benchmade Emissary but that my backup was an ESEE Izula II fixed blade and I've ordered a Hogue EX04 basically because it's an Elishewitz design but there's no way I can afford a custom Elishewitz and that one handed close is important to me so that's why I like button or axis-lock (or axis lock clones) vs liner or frame locks.

Mr B came up after about 30 minutes of serious blade talking and was told that he'd 'made a good choice in a woman'.  It was a lot of fun and I'm hoping I got to teach them a bit of a lesson about books and covers...

5 comments:

Monkeywrangler said...

What fun! That's as good as giving the dealer the ol' hairy eyeball for offering us women the pink-gripped pistols in mouse-gun calibers!

We (DH & I ) gave long thought to going to an auto knife since TX now allows for it. But we decided that in a pinch, a fixed blade would be more successful, and if one chose wisely, was as concealable as an auto.

Hence, my sweetie bought me a Spyderco Street Beat for Christmas! I am getting used to EDCing a fixed blade in addition to my Spydie PM2 folder.

Old NFO said...

ROTF, I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall for that one...

Midwest Chick said...

MW: Have been there too. Agree on the fixed blade--autos have serious drawbacks for deployment. Nice choices both on the Spydercos! I hear great things about the PM2.

NFO: Suffice to say, I amused myself mightily! :-)

Brigid said...

Brigid said...

Gee, beautiful blond with a scary collection of knives she can use with great detail. I'm surprised people didn't show up with goats and a wee bit of gold, asking for you hand in marriage. :-)

As 50% of my knives wouldn't cut Velveeta I'm sure they were impressed. The tactical knife selection is pretty good, but my Ginsu knife cooking collection is pretty sad. If Old NFO hadn't sent me ceramic knives for Christmas a couple of years ago, I'd likely starved.