Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Some quick thoughts about last night's political speech

We made the mistake of watching the State of the Union political speech last night on CBS.  I can't say how irritating I find Bob Schieffer and whoever that bobble-headed twink was with him (doesn't know the difference between a catch-phrase and a moniker and THEY are supposed to be the intelligencia).   Schieffer seems to think that because he's old, he's the heir to Walter Cronkite or something.  He is the one who called last's night speech by Obama a political speech though.  I agree since I couldn't find much about the actual state of the union in anything that was said.

I thought it  interesting that Obama is still touting global warming (last twelve years were the hottest in the last century, my ass).  He spouted about fires, floods, and drought--I figured they are signs of the Apocalypse that are the result of him getting re-elected.

Blaming the Sequestration issue on Congress was kind of funny. He wants it to go away so badly, he can taste it since it's a HUGE item that he can't lay on Bush's door.  Even Durbin said that it was a political ploy that wasn't ever supposed to happen.  I think the Republicans should stand their ground and make him OWN IT.

There were a couple of times were Mr B and I thought he was going to launch his gun-control bid.  When he finally did, he really said nothing.  I don't think that calling for a vote and then chiming the litany of the dead counts for anything except for the fact that he's willing to dance on the bodies of slain children for his agenda.

Final thought.  The complicit press and the dems keep saying that Americans are for universal background checks, even for private sales (where both parties would have to go to an FFL and do a NICS check).  I think that this would definitely come under a 10th Amendment violation.  As each state has its own gun laws regarding carry and purchase, any attempt by the federal government to step into this process would violate those states' rights.  Because we're now talking about an INTRA-state private transaction.  The feds have no authority over what goes on within the boundaries of a state or between private parties.  Even the NICS checks in place are contrary to the 10th Amendment.

And that's what I'm going to tell my Senators and Representative today.

No comments: