Saturday, January 5, 2013

No one is irreplaceable....

Holy crap.  After a nice Christmas break, get back to the office and one of my coworkers comes in with a full-blown case of the flu.  After she called in the second day subsequent, I couldn't resist pointing out that all actions have consequences.  I might have obliquely accused her of trying to take the entire office down at one of our busiest times.  The utter ego of some folks thinking that the sun won't rise without them getting up and sharing their frickin' germs with the rest of us.  If I get sick AGAIN since I was down before New Years, I'm going to have to punch her in the head.

One thing I have learned over the years is that no one is irreplaceable.  Depending on the amount of procedures they've been allowed to grab over the course of years, it's more difficult to winkle out exactly what they do, but with time, everything will be running as smoothly, or more smoothly than when they were there.  Now that THAT'S out of my system....   

I do my job, I do it to the best of my ability, but my ego, being, and raison d'etre are definitely not my job.  It's what I do, not who I am.  And some folks just don't get that.

The folks in Washington don't get it.  Even when they leave their position for whatever reason, they are still referred to by their previous title.  I'm not sure when this evolved or why.  I think it's pretty disingenuous, especially if they were voted out.  The title of Representative or Senator or Governor should be dropped once that person is no longer doing that job.  But this "Honorific for Life" I think is symptomatic of the rest of the hubris and keeps the idea of a lordship, rather than a temporary elected official alive.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Excellent point! I don't go around expecting people to call me by my military rank, because I'm retired from that occupation...

The Big Guy said...

One the topic of being irreplaceable-

Long ago, when I was working at (mumblemumblemumble) I learned the following:
"Strive to be replaceable. If they can't replace you, they can't promote you."

TBG