Sunday, June 17, 2012

Voyage of discovery

In this case my voyage of discovery was literal.  My sister and her new husband rented a tall ship for a both a cruise and B&B.  Unfortunately, while in the galley chatting after the cruise, I found that boats and my stomach do not agree.  It didn't help when my sister set out the guacamole, hummus, and other foods loaded with garlic and onion in front of me and I was told this morning that the place I'd chosen to ride out the rainstorm was probably the worst one on the boat for someone battling seasickness.   Texting Mr. B for advice, I tried everything I could but the weather was not good for going up on deck--staring at the glass of water helped a bit, but I'm sure I was a bilious shade of green.

Luckily my sister took pity on me and drove me back to her place in the middle of a thunderstorm in the middle of the night.  Some ginger capsules provided by a friend and some dramamine found under the counter and some sleep and I was set to rights this morning.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Ouch... Glad you're 'better'... Crackers and Ginger Ale DOES work...

og said...

Ditto, glad you're safe home.

I have BPPV, which means that what you went through occurs to me on dry land, occasionally. it's not easy to deal with, and I hope you never have the chance to try again.

Midwest Chick said...

NFO--Didn't even dream that I'd experience anything like that. Staying on terra firma for a while before I try again.

Og--that sounds horrible. Hopefully both of us can avoid that feeling for a while.

DirtCrashr said...

It helps to look at the horizon and stay above-decks until the stomache adjusts. Going below is a recipe for the turbulent agitation of a Maytag and subsequent results... But sometimes (like nighttime, storms, and sleep) that's not an option.

Midwest Chick said...

DirtCrashr--that's how I managed the sail around the harbor. Maytag agitation is about the best description I've heard.... blech!