Friday, June 8, 2012

Did something good, I think....

Well, I finally did it.  I called my high school English teacher and thanked her for staying after school with me, for introducing me to poets such as Dorothy Parker, and for helping me to understand Fahrenheit 451, which I had read before it was required for her class, but then actually had to analyze the next time around.

It was funny though, when I called she said "You're calling because you heard Bradbury died, aren't you?"  I admitted that was indeed the impetus for the call.  She laughed as I finished my outpouring of thanks and said "I wish I had a tape recorder so I could play this over and over."

Calling her was a good thing and was well overdue.

7 comments:

agirlandhergun said...

Neat. I called my HS geometry teaching when I stopped homeschooling my daughter. When she went into public school she was top in her class because of my teaching, but in HS I struggled and my teacher never gave up.

Old NFO said...

Well done! :-)

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

As the wife and I are both in the teaching business both as a our day jobs and our hobbies... you have probably made your teacher's day, week, or even month with that call!

Dann in Ohio

Midwest Chick said...

agirl--This teacher never gave up on me either.

NFO--thanks. Should have done it a long time ago though.

Dann--that's what she said--that I made her day. She really did have an effect on my life that I'll never be able to repay. Best I can do is try to pass on a bit of what she taught me.

Chas S. Clifton said...

It's true, one of the downsides of teaching is the feeling that you are firing students out into the void, and you never hear their mature assessments. Glad you called here -- and kudos to her for knowing just what prompted your call.

Midwest Chick said...

Chas--She's definitely one of the cleverest people I know, even after *cough, cough*, a whole bunch of years. I hope that in the future, your students call you as I called her.

DirtCrashr said...

Congrats! I'm a bit jealous, didn't have any teachers like that, and it's so long ago they're probably "resting peacefully" now.