Friday, January 27, 2012

Cayenne plus a whole lot more

I am a hot food freak. I don't know why I've developed a superhuman tolerance to peppers (maybe because my biological father smoked a couple of packs a day and put Tabasco, peppers, and cayenne on everything), I don't know for sure.  I also like dark chocolate--a lot--and have purchased just about every 'mexican chocolate'-type candy bar out there.  But nothing suited, quite.  So I found a quick fudge recipe online and have made my own modifications.

So the original recipe is 12 ounces of bittersweet chocolate chips, 1 can of sweetened, condensed milk, walnuts, and 1 tsp of vanilla.  Here's my version:

6 ounces of 82% dark chocolate (small pieces or chips)
6 ounces of 73% dark chocolate (small pieces or chips)
1 can of sweetened, condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1.5-2.0 Tablespoons, cayenne pepper
1 tsp habanero powder
blessing of cinnamon

In a non-stick pan melt the chocolate together with the condensed milk over very low heat with the cayenne, habanero, and cinnamon. When the chocolate is melted, fold in the vanilla.  Line a 9x9 pan with waxed paper and put the mixture in, even it out and let cool for a couple of hours.  Use the waxed paper to help get the fudge out of the pan and put on a cutting board.  Take off the waxed paper and cut into one inch squares.

This recipe will not be to everyone's taste (I only know about 4 people other than myself who will eat it), but if store-bought 'mexican chocolates' don't work for you, it's a good way to go. 

WARNING: this stuff is HOT!  Use caution and modify to your own taste.

1 comment:

Brigid said...

It was excellent! I had a piece with coffee for breakfast.