Monday, December 19, 2011

A football rant, kinda....

Okay, I'm not what one would call a football fan.  I'll watch a game if it's on, I know the rules, etc., but haven't been caught up in the game since 'Da Superbowl Shuffle' of 1984.  But apparently last night the New England Patriots, led by Tom Brady, beat the Broncos, led by Tim Tebow.  And apparently to some folks this is a judgement from heaven.  I don't know Tim Tebow but I'd have to be hiding under a rock not to know that his displays of faith are causing some folks considering consternation for some reason.

So, to the point.  A friend of mine posted something on facebook about how she was glad that the Pats won and that maybe Tebow should concentrate on gaining yardage rather than interfering in people's lives (I'm paraphrasing).  To which I replied something along the line of I don't think what he's doing is all that bad.  So the angry reply is that what he's doing is that bad because he's the spokesman for a group that says that my friend is going to hell (this person is gay).

I did some googling and yahooing and Tim Tebow and his mom (or rather his mom and Tim Tebow) did a spot at last years' Superbowl regarding abortion (an anti-abortion commercial) that was paid for by a group called Focus on the Family.  Now the commercial they did was not regarding gay folks or Focus on the Family's stance on gays.  It was about abortion since Tebow is apparently only here because his mom chose not to get one, despite a life-threatening infection that had her doctors recommending one due to the medication needed to cure her. 

I could not find anything where Tebow had spouted anti-gay or even anti-gay marriage messages.  I could not find anything that said that Tebow was actually a spokesman for Focus on the Family--not in any interviews and not on their website.  The only links I could find were headlines that called Tebow a spokesman for the group referencing that commercial.  But there was nothing else and no interaction (at least  that I could find) between Tebow and Focus on the Family other than the one anti-abortion commercial almost a year ago.

Using deductive reasoning, an art apparently lost on the liberal side of humanity who chooses emotion over facts, it seems to me that Tebow isn't a spokesman for that group.  The commercial he did was on one issue.  There are many folks that associate with groups with whom they do not wholly share their agenda.  By saying that Tebow is anti-gay, without any proof, because of one anti-abortion commercial is like saying that Michael Jordan is pro-sweatshop because he was a paid spokesman for Nike.  And because I can't put any of this on facebook (don't know why I said anything in the first place), you get to see it here.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

And you are absolutely correct... They are truly down on Tebow because he's an unabashed Christian... sigh... I just have to wonder, if her were Muslim and displaying that openly if a single word would be said...

Don said...

You know, I don't remember anyone criticizing Terry Bradshaw for being religious in public.

Karl said...

I don't think we're connected on FB, so I would have missed this if you had posted there. Glad I caught this - very good job on the research. Research you shouldn't have to do buy that is part of carrying the weight of others too lazy to lift a finger....

Just started following the Tebow controversy and have found more positive stuff at every turn. This guy has so much class - he leads by example both on and off the field.

Midwest Chick said...

NFO--It kills me because she was a theology major and you're right--no one would comment if he was a muslim.

Don--Me neither.

Karl--I had to do a lot of research because I'd only been aware of it peripherally. He seems like a young man who walks his talk and doesn't give a darn about what others think of it. And I'm cool with that.