Monday, October 10, 2011

When Mullets attack

Apparently there has been a war going on within the Amish community and it has escalated.  A group called the Bergholz Clan, led by a man named Sam Mullet, has been attacking other Amish in their homes and were cutting off the beards of men and the hair of the women (the growing of the beard and hair is part of Amish religious and social devotion). 

Two angry Mullets, Johnny and Lester, were arrested, but there are two other men and several women who have not yet been apprehended in these crimes.  According to this report, the attacks are the results of a shunning of the Bergholz Clan by others in the Amish community due to allegations of sexual abuse and other issues in 2007.  The Amish community is on high alert.

Sam Mullet is trying to categorize these assaults as a religious issue, rather than one that the secular authorities should be involved in.  Looks to me like it's both.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

Truly sad, but egotistical leaders cannot stand to be called to task/shunned... Even if it IS a religious community...

Scout26 said...

Is it wrong that I laughed at the name "Mullet"?

Brigid said...

I have a photo of me with a mullet sitting in the cockpit of a large cargo plane. If I die suddenly, when you guys come sort out my stuff, please burn it or I WILL haunt you :-)

Midwest Chick said...

NFO--and talk about revenge, those Amish play hard-ball.

Scout (D): If I could have used the word Mullet twelve more times, I would have and would have been laughing each time.

Brigid: We've got your back, especially when there's a party there because you were all business up front.

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

At least this Mullet thing appears to be an isolated incident... unlike the remake of Footloose, which may be a nation-wide terrorist act...

Dann in Ohio

Midwest Chick said...

Dann--too funny! I sorrow at a Hollywood who can't think of doing anything more than remakes.