Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Treating our political/academic class like children

A few weeks ago, a senior faculty member told me that I needed to 'treat faculty members as if they were children' in order to get them to provide me with information.  I figure this needs to be applied to the political class as well.  Eric Holder apparently lied to Congress when he said he heard about Operation Fast a Furious "a few weeks" before his May interview.  Now there are memos that show he knew about it a whole year ago (and probably more will come out but they are stonewalling).  His defense?  "I misunderstood the question."  So now I think my advice to Daryl Issa is this:  ask questions as if the person were either five years old or like you would interrogate a teenager getting ready to go out with friends.

For example:  Instead of asking “When did you first hear about Operation Fast and Furious?”,

you ask: "When were you first made aware, by email, telephone, text message, written memorandum, verbal, sign language, semophore, aldis lamp, psychic communication, or any other interaction of any BAFTE/DoJ/FBI/DHS/any federal agency operation that was allowing the straw purchases of firearms, the purchase of firearms by federal agents, the providing of money by federal agents to a third party for the purpose of buying firearms with any or all of these actions intending to have the result of firearms ending up in either Mexico and/or in the hands of Chicago gangbangers?  Please note that this Operation may have been called Operation Fast and Furious, Fast and Furious, F&F, or is now colloquially called Operation Gunwalker, or it may not have been referred to by any code name but just by the details of the operation:  allowing the straw purchases of firearms, the purchase of firearms by federal agents, the providing of money by federal agents to a third party for the purpose of buying firearms with any or all of these actions intending to have the result of firearms ending up in either Mexico and/or in the hands of Chicago gangbangers?"

I probably missed something that could be used for wiggle room since I'm a relatively fully-functioning adult, but it might come down to this so that there are no future 'misunderstandings'.

I think Holder and anyone else who green-lighted or knew about this thing should be impeached and then turned over to Mexico for crimes against that country.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Amen!!! And yeah, they may be highly educated, but they are not necessarily highly functional... :-)

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

uhh... you forgot "smoke signals" and "Morse code"... but I'm sure they'd still find a way around it...

Dann in Ohio

Midwest Chick said...

NFO: While there are notable exceptions, I think you're right! :-)

Dann: I knew I'd miss some. Now the excuse is: I didn't read the memos.... *sigh*

Larry said...

Could go all "Pulp Fiction - The Shakespeare Version" on him...

Issa: Your pardon; did I break thy concentration?
Continue! Ah, but now thy tongue is still.
Allow me then to offer a response.
Describe the program called Fast and Furious to me, pray.
Holder: What?
I: What country dost thou hail from?
H: What?
I: Thou sayest thou dost hail from distant What?
I know but naught of thy fair country What.
What language speak they in the land of What?
H: What?
I: English, base knave, dost thou speak it?
H: Aye!
I: Then hearken to my words and answer them!
Describe to me Fast and Furious!
H: What?
I: Speak 'What' again! Thou cur, cry 'What' again!
I dare thee utter 'What' again but once!
I dare thee twice and spit upon thy name!
Now, paint for me a portraiture in words,
If thou hast any in thy head but 'What',
Of Fast and Furious!

Midwest Chick said...

Larry--too good (and also one of my favorite scenes from Pulp Fiction).