Sunday, September 11, 2011

The ultimate crisis not wasted....

I was in Boston on September 11, 2001.  I had been at my new job for just over two months.  I remember watching the TV in the conference room and seeing the second tower just seem to melt away.  I had one friend who was a defense department contractor who worked at the Pentagon periodically and another friend who had a shop in Greenwich Village, not terribly far from the Twin Towers and I finally got in contact with each of them the next day.  I remember comforting a new co-worker, a stranger as she cried helplessly at the carnage.  I remember my anger at those who perpetrated this heinous act.

I later remember the workings of Congress, those voices who said to not act quickly, lest there be unintended consequences of haste.  The Patriot Act, the TSA, the Department of Homeland Security.  The erosion of the values of the United States of American in response to the acts of fanatical muslims. 

I found it ironic that Hillary Clinton, in an address to the John Jay College of Criminal Justice on September 9, 2011 saying that:  [The United States] "cannot and will not live in fear, sacrifice our values or pull back from the world" over terrorism concerns, while trucks and other vehicles trying to get into New York City were being individually searched.

One thing that terrorists try to do is change the behavior of those whom they target.  And in this, Al Qaeda has succeeded.   We have small children, grandparents, and free citizens of this country being sexually assaulted in order to travel by air.  We have those who are so afraid of being called racist or Islamophobes that they would allow a Victory Mosque to be built at the site of one of the greatest tragedies and terrorist acts perpetrated in this country and that allow colonization of this country by those who do not wish to be part of this great experiment, but who wish to destroy and change it into their warped 8th century version of the world.   We have the head of NASA saying that, rather than take this country to the stars, the agency's mission is really to make muslims feel good because they were involved in the sciences in the 6th and 7th centuries.  We have the law of the land being twisted and broken and usurped.

From his place in Hell, Bin Laden has to be laughing his ass off.  And my anger is now directed towards those who are using his acts to erode my freedoms.

I will never forget the happenings of that day, which dawned so brightly.  I will fight to keep the reactions to that act from destroying my country.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Well said, Never Forget, Never Forgive...

Midwest Chick said...

Yes, on both counts.