Friday, September 2, 2011

It's almost painful to watch... Man cuts off toes to save his life. But that's not the painful part.

Jon Hutt was trapped under a piece of logging equipment that fell off his trailer in a place with no cell phone service so he cut off his toes, wrapped them and his foot up, and then drove himself to the hospital.  And from the 911 call and such (once he was back in range), he maintained his sense of humor and his cool (when the 911 Operator told him he had to obey traffic laws, he just laughed and said 'No I don't.).  This is what one can call a Real Man.

Now to the painful part.  The painful part is watching nominally genetically male reporters like Matt Lauer and some other chiseled-jaw/empty head guy try to actually talk to and relate to this Real Man.  The empty head guy asked Mr. Hutt if he "learned anything about himself" from his experience.  Mr. Hutt looked at him (and didn't call him stupid) and just said "Not really."  Why?  Because he did what was necessary, got through it, and will go on.  He didn't and doesn't have anything to prove to anyone--he's a Real Man. 

It was humorous watching Matt Lauer hold the pocket knife the guy used (and of course Mr. Hutt had a pocket knife with him--he's a Real Man).  I think if Matt could have had rubber gloves on, he would have ('cause the knife had blood on it two weeks ago and must have cooties or something).  He was holding it so gingerly that I wonder how he actually kept it from slipping to the floor.

Something that Himself and I were talking about this morning is that urban dwellers don't really know what a Real Man is.  Watching Lauer and whoever the hell the other guy was trying to talk to this guy was proof that they really don't have a clue.

10 comments:

North said...

I would want to ask Jon what knife is good for cutting flesh. I would certainly hate to have to do what he did, but I carry a knife - may as well be a good one for that purpose.

Midwest Chick said...

Looked like a basic old 3 inch pocketknife. Bet he's carried it for years.

North said...

And I'll bet he keeps it SHARP. My guess is Matt Lauer not only cannot sharpen a knife, but wouldn't know lefty-loosy righty-tighty.

Midwest Chick said...

Well, it was sharp enough that it went through three toes, including his big toe. He said that he would have to stop and take a couple of breaths when the pain got too much while he was cutting.

I'm not sure Matt would know how to unfold the knife if it wasn't handed to him open already.

Smasher said...

Years ago, big dinner group. Across from me is Gerry and her BF John, who I'm just meeting, and next to BF is my good friend Mark. Mark is outdoorsy type, good with tools, etc. John is proving to be a bit of a buffoon, and I'm hoping Mark gets his wish and manages to pry Gerry away from John, because Gerry is awesome. Dinner ends, people start forming conversation groups, and Mark surreptitiously hands me his new pocket folder - a nice one. John notices me handing it back, asks to see it. Mark hands it over with a warning that it's VERY sharp.

I look at Mark and quietly say "A dollar?", Mark reluctantly nods. A minute later "Wow! It IS sharp!" A shallow cut for John, not much blood. A few minutes later Mark silently hands me a dollar.

A year or so after that, after Mark and Gerry are happily near-married and still goo-eyeing each other, in the middle of a conversation about something completely unrelated, Gerry turns to me and says "Oh, by the way, you and Mark bet a dollar that John would cut himself that night, didn't you?!?" I responded that we normally bet pizzas for that sort of thing but we'd just eaten so... She wanted to know how we knew, we explained that some guys just aren't meant to handle sharp things, and you can usually spot them.

Chas S. Clifton said...

Yeah, I read that story and my first thought was, "I need to sharpen my pocketknife. I've been using it too much as a letter opener."

Midwest Chick said...

Smasher--great story! It's probably best that Matt didn't try to actually handle Mr. Hutt's knife--he might have harmed himself.

Chas--I'm betting a lot of folks got theirs out for a quick look after reading the story. :-)

Old NFO said...

Meh... I KNOW how sharp mine is... And yep, Mr. Hutt did what had to be done, and didn't even blame ANYBODY! What a novel concept!!!

mycrofth4 said...

A couple of years ago at work, we had a chili pitch-in and one of the AA's brought in a box of disposable bowls to serve the chili in. I pulled out my pocket knife - a 2" Browning with a tanto point and half-serrated blade - and my boss literally gasped, "You aren't supposed to have THAT at work, are you?"
I replied that it complied with company policy. I also added that if the policy changed, I would be looking for a new employer since I've been carrying a pocket knife since sixth grade and don't plan on giving it up.

Midwest Chick said...

NFO--He was as matter-of-fact as his wife. During the interview, they asked her what she thought of the whole 'ordeal' and she just said she was surprised the accident happened in the first place.

Mycrofth4--I popped out my pocketknife (Boker drop-point 3" blade) at a faculty breakfast to open the plastic on a bottle of tabasco and one of the faculty members looked at me with big eyes and asked if I'd ever stabbed anyone with it. I just looked at him and said 'not yet, but it's early.'