Monday, August 22, 2011

Sick kitty

Our Buddha kitty is at the vet now.  We had a trip to the emergency vet yesterday but the problem was severe enough that it recurred.  He's prone to crystals in his urine and is apparently chock-full and was blocked up completely.  So we get to wait and make sure that his kidneys are okay after they catheterize him this morning.  He'll stay in a couple of days to get as thorough a flushing as possible and then special diet for the rest of his life.  I'm beating myself up since I'm in charge of food and feeding and we had them on a urinary tract formula, but food allergies and such made me switch them over to a grain-free dry to try to correct that problem.  I guess if it comes to being bald or being able to urinate, then baldness isn't so bad but it seemed so at the time.  The vet is advocating a complete switchover to canned food for the ravenous horde so I'm going to investigate our options that way.

He's a gentle kitty and the foot of the bed is going to be empty without him for a couple of days.  Wish us luck that his kidneys are okay and that we get everything corrected.

ETA:  Vet just called, looks like we dodged a bullet and no permanent kidney damage, as far as she can tell now.  Much fluids and such for a couple of days, but she thinks he'll be fine.

7 comments:

North said...

My prayers are with you.

og said...

You are all always in our prayers, anyway, but I'll ad special ones for the kitty.

Midwest Chick said...

Thanks to you both! Og--it's the big solid gray kitty who likes reaching out and grabbing you when you walk by.

I'll post updates when I get them.

Guffaw in AZ said...

Pets are special. Good thoughts and pryaers your way!

Old Grouch said...

They're so self-sufficient and at the same time so fragile. (Just like people, I guess.) Thoughts & prayers & such.

Borepatch said...

They're not pets, they're family. It'd be a lot easier if they weren't.

Midwest Chick said...

gfa--Thanks so much! Hopefully he's on the mend, but he'll be at the vet for a couple of days...

Old Grouch--They certainly are, and they seem to be a lot more stoic than people. Appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

Borepatch--you are spot on. Mr. B/Himself found him and his siblings at the range when they were barely weaned. It would be easier if I could think of them as something other than family, but they've made little fuzzy footprints all over my heart.