Monday, August 22, 2011

Phegmmy has the perfect illustration...

She has posted about a family who came home to find a burglary in process.  Two men struggled with the guy who was literally caught holding their television and one got him in a choke hold.  He died at the hospital.  Now before you say 'awww', think about it.  He was robbing them.  He broke into their home, their domicile, their castle, and was taking away their hard-won goods because he thought he could get away with it. 

When someone steals something, they are not taking just an item, they are taking the time, the hours of life, and the money that went into being able to purchase that item.

Something that comes up periodically in conversation with others is the use of force to stop a robbery or to stop someone who has broken into the house.  Usually the question posited is "Do you think it's worth a person's life to shoot them if they are taking your television?"  The answer is "Well, they obviously think so."  By allowing this behavior to pass as a 'small thing' and to try to couch it under 'well, theft is a non-violent crime' then it negates the fact that it is still a crime and one that often escalates to violence.

3 comments:

Guffaw in AZ said...

(I'm not giving legal advice) In Az one may shoot a burglar (a rapist, child molester, an arsonist and some other bad folks)
I've no problem with it.

Anonymous said...

I find it odd that a person with a cat named Buddha thinks it totally cool to kill someone over a TV.

Midwest Chick said...

Actually my cat resembles Buddha (is not named Buddha) and if someone invades my home and tries to take my things, then they are in the wrong, not me. I find it odd that you think that home invasion and theft are totally cool and should be without consequences.

To be clear, if someone takes my TV and I'm not home, I am not going to hunt them down and kill them. However, if they are in my house without permission while I am home and they are there with the intent to take my things, I am also going to assume that they are out to do me harm and will react accordingly.

As far as I can tell, even the Dalai Lama does not think that self-defense or even killing in self-defense is wrong. To assume that Buddhism=pacifism is to not look at the actions of Buddhists throughout history.