Friday, July 8, 2011

When life imitates art....

Or at least when some self-important person decides to imitate a movie....

The story: Rebecca Watson whose online handle is "Skepchick" who bills herself as a skeptic, atheist, and feminist (apparently she misses the billing of perpetual victim) attends a conference on atheism and skepticism.   After staying at the bar until 4:00 am and then heading for the elevator, one of the men with whom she had been talking at the bar, goes with her to the elevator and then asks if she would like to continue the conversation over coffee in his room.

Her comments on the incident:
Just a word to the wise here, guys. Don't do that. I don't know how else to explain how this makes me very uncomfortable, but I'll just sort of lay it out: I was a single women in foreign country in a hotel elevator with you, just you, and I--don't invite me back to your hotel room right after I finish talking about how it creeps me out and makes me uncomfortable when men sexualize me in that manner.
 Okay, wait...  

I couldn't find a video link, but here's some quotes from a scene in the movie P.C.U.:
Jock: Hey, what's up, babes?
Womynist #1: Pack up your rape culture and take a hike!
Jock: You want a brewdog?
Womynist #1: We're not interested in your penis!
Womynist #2: Wait. I think he's offering us a beer.
Womynist #2: Um, yes, we would like... a... beer.
Womynist #1: It's, like, if you're nice to them, they bring you things?
Womynist #2: Exactly.

Apparently when Richard Dawkins weighed in, there was much consternation, wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I'm totally with Amy Alkon, the Advice Goddess on this one:

Four words: Grow. The. Fuck. Up.
Here's how this plays out for a woman whose entire existence doesn't revolve around being a victim, women as victims, and seeing men as victimizers of women every time they open their mouths or so much as salt their food:
A guy asks you out. You're not interested. Say, "Thanks, think I'm going to turn in." Forget it happened.

2 comments:

quizikle said...

Much more fun and PC to be a victim...
:)

Midwest Chick said...

Yep, but they end up sounding like whiny little babies though instead of like fully-actualized adults.... ;-)

I don't understand why a skeptic/feminist/atheist would not see the dichotomy between being a feminist and being a member of the cult of the victim.