Sunday, July 24, 2011

Corrupting the vegetarians.... bacon and steak.....

My sister is on the other side of the pond for a while so Himself and I are watching her dog for her.  My sister is a vegetarian and her dog, being her dog, doesn't get a whole lot of meat trimmings or leftovers, outside of that in her dry and canned foods.  So last night Himself made bacon wrapped sirloins on the grill.  Each critter (and yes, we've got six in the homestead right now) got some.  My sister's dog was so excited about the heretofore unknown substance called 'meat' that she even took on the smallest cat and attempted to steal her portion.  I'm calling it a coincidence that this morning, this very slow-moving 15 year old dog felt good enough to hit warp speed around the corner of the house, headed to points unknown (forcing me through the house, grabbing shoes and out the front).

Oddly enough, my sister had a meal containing ham (she didn't recognize it on the menu) and really enjoyed it.  Next stop bacon and onto brats....  ;-)  It's kind of like eating no-fat cheese.  Once you've had the real thing again, you never go back to the other stuff.

Aaaah, the power of steak (especially with bacon)--it's what's for dinner whenever possible.  Or ham and bacon.  Or any combination thereof.  With cheese.

6 comments:

Borepatch said...

This is the saddest thing I've ever seen. Poor dog.

North said...

Cue the Futurama episode where a skin-and-bones lion was "trained" by hippies to eat only tofu.

*cough*

Midwest Chick said...

BP--It's not sad at all. She's a healthy/happy dog but she's not had a lot of meat outside of her food (she's not on a vegetarian diet). But she really went nutsy for the scraps! :-)

North--It was funny that my sister also got ahold of some ham accidentally and thoroughly enjoyed it. At least she's not a veggie-fanatic and she said she'll make sure the dog gets meat more often once she's back.

minimedic said...

I've never really been a fan of bacon, but I will do damn near anything for my hospital's sausages. (They're oh-so-spicy, but so. DAMN. GOOD.)

og said...

Vegetarian. it's what's for dinner.

Midwest Chick said...

MM--really anything related to pork is good. My favorite sausages are those ones you can get at a Brazilian restaurant.

Og--carnivores are at the top of the food chain for a reason.