Monday, July 18, 2011

Being human and Greek tragedies, or the aversion thereof....

Blogging has been kind of light--part of it is ennui, part of it is data overload, I think.  I was talking with a friend this morning and it got me thinking about tragedies, Greek or otherwise.  It also got me thinking about humor and being human.  Most of my favorite folks are those who find the absurdity in a situation, even a very serious one, and use that as a touchpoint for overall perspective. 

It seems to me that the ones that can't do that; who take themselves and the world around them uber-seriously, are ones that need to not be in positions where they can affect anyone else.  Bureaucrats, community organizers, academics (and there are exceptions to these) all seem to fall into the uber-serious category.  I figure that if you can't laugh at yourself and your foilables, then you are unprepared to handle the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and will crumble at the first volley.

Lest we forget that laughter is key and before we take our human condition too seriously...

2 comments:

North said...

I've been known to laugh at serious things. Absurdity makes me do that - a short moment of having that mental zzzzzt! happen - and I just chuckle at the serious and shake my head.

Midwest Chick said...

Exactly. Or finding that one piece of information that puts the whole thing into perspective--from crisis to dealable problem.