Monday, June 13, 2011

What not to say during an interview

Chances are this is what NOT to say during a telephone interview:

Interviewer:  "Why X institution?  And why now?"

Me: "Well, I applied for the job in November and you repackaged it, pulled it without notice, and then put it back out there, so now is when you were taking action.  Why X institution--you are within driving distance of my house and you have a position for which I have the experience."

Not surprisingly, haven't heard anything further, even from my followup email.

I know that what they want to hear is that 'you are the best institution of your type EVAH and people are busting down the doors for the privilege of working there.'  But the truth is the truth--I wouldn't be applying for another job if mine was going swimmingly and paid well so what really do they want to hear? Is it a bad thing if one of the comments you get is 'thank you for your honesty and candor'?

*sigh*

4 comments:

Brigid said...

That is you, you can't be any different. Their loss. At least you didn't do what the one young man at one interview panel of which I was the lead. At the end of a number of technical questions and closing the interview, he shook my hand and said "Gee! You know a LOT for a girl!"

PING!

Midwest Chick said...

Brigid--D'oh! I'm guessing he didn't get the job... And I'm not sure I've lost this one but it's not looking rosy....

strandediniowa said...

I once left an interview knowing I blew it and I hung my head for a week until they called to offer me the job.

My last interview, I asked why they didn't offer the job to someone on the panel - they took my advice.

Hang in there. Think of it this way, you are interviewing them to see if they are worthy of your time and talents.

Midwest Chick said...

Thanks for the good words! We'll see what happens and I'll be sure to blog it!! :-)