Friday, June 24, 2011

Personal responsibility again...

I know that I've been blogging on the subject of personal responsibility a lot.  Not playing the victim card.  Stepping up and not blaming others for your lot in life.  Pulling up your big boy underoos or big girl panties and getting on with it.

But then it comes, literally, to our front door.  D.A.N. from next door.  Yes, the Dumb-Ass Neighbor.  Bearing something that he was wanting Himself to buy because he's not going to have enough money at the end of the month.  Why?  Because he had a swimming pool put in.  He didn't even do the labor on it to save some money.  This was two months after having his shiny big truck repossessed (or as he put it 'they took it'.).  He'd already been to a shop and was told that he could get $300 for the item he was wanting to sell but when he quoted his price to Himself, he asked for $350 (told us about the shop price towards the end of the conversation).

I can't even bring myself to feel sorry for the guy and couldn't even type the platitude because it would be too hypocritical of me to do so.  I tried.  At least he didn't come straight out and beg for money and was willing to sell something.  Next time I'll bet that's how it'll go.

I guess one of the reasons it chaps my butt so much is because we're really working hard on getting out of debt.  We dropped cable and have cut back on other things so that we can do things like put new gutters on the house sometime this year.  I just don't get it.

ETA in Contrast:  Via Insty about the flooding in Minot, North Dakota:

The only silver lining to this disaster has been the response of the community. I am not from this part of the country (I hail from the East Coast) and nowhere that I have lived has ever faced this kind of adversity. But I would be proud to call this town my home. I have not seen one person whine or complain. I have not heard one hopeless person ask when the government or FEMA would rescue them. The town mobilized itself days ahead of the impending disaster and began planning for the worst; secondary levees and sandbag walls went up with breathtaking speed, and thousands of homes were evacuated without incident. Think of it as the anti-Katrina. Once the townspeople saw that their worst fears were about to be realized, and their homes and livelihoods destroyed, instead of giving up, they have only redoubled their efforts to save what can be saved. Their stoic determination in the face of absolute catastrophe amazes me.

5 comments:

North said...

All of this is mindset.

Once you enable people to be lazy, they stay lazy. Frontier people don't wallow in their own diapers waiting for the government to change them.

KurtP said...

What North said.

We're not a bunch of whiny gov't depending Libs who want to wait for Uncle Sugar to fix things- because we know he can't.

Midwest Chick said...

North--true and obvious, except to those who want the government to change their diapers. We're seeing this in Greece where the populace is throwing a temper tantrum because their toys are being taken away.

Kurt--Exactly. I don't need a government telling me what kind of light bulbs to have in my house or what to eat. I'll figure it out.

DaddyBear said...

I was born in Minot, and the mindset of self reliance and community support is almost genetic. It was the last place I've ever lived where not providing for your own family was considered a shameful thing.

Midwest Chick said...

It exists in other places, you just have to look for them.