Saturday, June 18, 2011

Comparing and contrasting...

In the past week I had a chance to experience a couple of different cultures--one very highbrow and the other on the industrial side of life.

Compare:  The first one is a very tony specialty store with candies and spices and such.  I have gone there in the past because they have pretty good prices on chocolate covered almonds, which is one of my favorite snacks.  This time as I'm making my purchase, the woman behind the counter says "Do you get the local ads?" I answer in the affirmative and she says, "Well, if you had gotten this week's ad, I could have given you twenty percent off on your purchase."  So I answer "Since I don't have it, could you see your way clear to go ahead and give me the twenty percent off and I'll keep an eye out for the next ad?"  And she answers, get this....  "Oh no, I can't do that."  So now I'm thinking then why on this good green earth did you mention it in the first place you stupid bint....  Please note that I'm not naming the place and I won't be going back.  My sister said she would have just punted the order and walked out but we folks with manners are hamstrung sometimes.

Contrast:  Himself ordered clamp-on forks for the new tractor through a third party supplier.  The actual supplier called and said that if we want to come pick up the forks (she saw the shipping address was only twenty miles away), we could save shipping costs since we were in a bit of a hurry to get the forks for use this weekend.  We got there and were met by the nicest people in the world.  We got a bit of a tour, some good conversation, saw one of the coolest paint jobs on a truck I've seen (ghost skulls which depended upon where you were looking), as well as a cold beverage.  These are folks who take pride in their work and who are a growing business.  If you need clamp on stuff for tractors and trucks, these are the folks to call:  Paynes Forks.  Their website is a bit ishy, but give them a call and they are more than helpful.  It is rare that anyone would take the time to try to help the way that Nancy did at Paynes Forks.  They even have aluminum forks that are a fraction of the weight of the steel but hold as much weight.

Something that the 'credentialed' elitists will never, ever understand is that true class is how people treat one another and cannot be judged by any other measure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well spoken. There many people who inhabit this earth who haven't figured out the meaning of being a MEMBER of a society.
Thanks!

Midwest Chick said...

Anon--very true. And I'm finding that credentialed elitist are the worst, most insular bunch in the world. It has to be tough to live in a 'self-gratification circle' all of the time...