Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Joplin, Missouri--Pets and People--Please see updates above

ETA May 26, 8:30 pm:  I have updated some info with some thanks here:


I talked to my cousin, who is on her way into Joplin with food (BBQ) and other supplies (they live less than an hour away).  She says that, although the people are starting getting what they need, the local animal shelters have lists of requests here.  I'm sending her down a check to use as she sees fit for the effort but she says it'll go for dog food, cat food, and kitty litter.  I figure it'll be easier for her to get supplies and drive them in than for me to mail them.  You can donate to the Joplin Humane Society directly here.

If you don't have someone like my cousin in the area, you can mail supplies to:
JOPLIN HUMANE SOCIETY :  140 Emperor Lane Joplin MO 64801
ETA:  They also have a wish list on Amazon:   http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wedding/9NXFU5BUZCLK
They are in need of:  Flea and Tick products (animals are covered in ticks from downed brush); Cat Litter, and money for veterinarian care for the displaced pets.

If you are in the area, they are looking for people to foster animals who have gotten separated from their people.  They have a sign up sheet here: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=144041035612022&topic=330

ETA:  Donation link page:  http://www.joplinhumane.org/donate.html

6 comments:

FrankC said...

Thanks for the heads up, Midwest Chick. I'm nowhere near, but I'm sure my cash will help.

Midwest Chick said...

Thanks Frank! I'm sure it will! My cousin told me she saw a picture of a dog sitting on the foundation of a house waiting for its people--almost broke her heart. She's the one that turned me on to this issue and how to help.

mupedalpusher said...

We are sending pet supplies from the UMC Vet School, when I dropped mine off they already had a lot of food to take down. Thanks for posting this, it's easy to forget about our 4 legged friends!

North said...

I'll be sending a check to the address.

TJIC said...

The Amazon wishlist was a great idea - I just sent a few big boxes.

Thanks for passing this along.

Midwest Chick said...

You all are the BEST! Thanks so much!!