Thursday, April 7, 2011

Well this is a good thing....

I have a bunch of relatives who live in Illinois and there have been a few times where I've gone over the border to an *oh crap* moment when I realized I hadn't taken my firearm out of my car leading to a quick stop, unloading, disassembling, and stashing the parts in different places in my vehicle.  Today, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that a person licensed to carry in another state may transport guns in Illinois without having to have a Illinois FOID card (full decision here).  Further, it had ruled previously that a closed and latched center console met the definition of a case.  So as long as I unload it, I can now keep my gun in my car as long as the console is closed and latched when I head over the border.  This is a good thing since part of the reason I don't go very often is because of the disarming process.  So yay!

6 comments:

FrankC said...

Can't be long, perhaps only a few decades, before Illinois rejoins the U.S.A.

Midwest Chick said...

Or at least stops being a blue bastion in the heartland. Now we just need to get Wisconsin on board and I'm golden.

Tango Juliet said...

Baby steps. Someday IL and WI will join the union.

atomic-fungus said...

$5 says that "center console" rule only applies to folks from out-of-state.

If _I_ try to do that, my next blog post will be from jail.

North said...

This is a good thing to hear!

Midwest Chick said...

TJ--we can only hope but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Atomic--actually the center console being defined as a case was found to be valid by the Illinois Supreme Court. Check out the Diggins case that was mentioned in the one linked above.

North--It sure is!