Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Liberals have their fingers in their collective ears

Via Big Journalism, there is an article about Paul Krugman, one of the 'big brains' at the New York times.  In an interview, he was asked about the websites he reads (all liberal except for ICanHasCheezburger, which is non-partisan, except for those who don't like cats).  Many conservatives fairly regularly listen to NPR (I know I'll listen to NPR before I'll listen to Ro and Roeper on WLS), peruse liberal blogs, and of course, will listen or read the news from BBC, Reuters, or the AP for that nice dose of liberal thought.  But Krugman simply dismisses conservative blogs and says:
"I don’t know of any economics or politics sites on that side that regularly provide analysis or information I need to take seriously. I know we’re supposed to pretend that both sides always have a point; but the truth is that most of the time they don’t."
In the words of someone I know (liberal) Krugman is saying "I am as informed as I want to be."   He does not want critical thought, or to be exposed to something that might challenge his comfortable worldview that is reinforced by the press, his friends, and the blogs he reads.  He dismisses any idea that might come from 'that side' as not worthy of the time to read it.  Except he does have time for ICanHasCheezburger (I do too, but it doesn't keep me from wandering the web and trying to get both sides of an argument).

Krugman is not even self-reflexive enough to realize that he's biased.  And public policy is formed based on his words.  Scary, huh??

1 comment:

Scott McCray said...

"LA-La-LA-La-LA-La-LA-La-LA-La..."
Sad, innit?
While I may shake my head in dismay when I listen to or read liberal media - I do check it out. How else can you get a grasp on where libs' tiny little brains reside? (I'm pretty sure it's dank and smelly there - just sayin'...)