Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sometimes you just don't know--heroes are found in the most unlikely of places

In my office there is a lady who works part-time for us.  She's unfailingly polite, smiling, and just a real nice lady (about my age).  She's as wide as she is tall.  Today she was wearing a "I Proudly Served" hat.  So I asked her if she is a veteran.  As a matter of fact yes, she served in Navy during Operation Desert Storm.  She talked with obvious fondness about training, about how she was able to meet up with friends while stationed in Italy, and about her fear when she was in harms way.  But she was proud and I was proud to be talking with her.  I thanked her for her service and for keeping us free.

You just never know and I think that my recognition of her service touched her as much as the fact she served touched me.  Made it a real good day.

2 comments:

Scott McCray said...

That is an awesome story - you really never know. Heroes live among us every day.

Midwest Chick said...

And you really can't judge a book by its cover. Good reminder for me.