Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Election day postscript

As I commented to Himself this morning, I don't think that I've ever stayed up watching midterm election results before.  I was also as knowledgeable, in some cases, about the races in other states as I was about ours.  With the federal government's attempted and mostly-successful attempts to take over individual and state rights, I have started watching more on the macro-level, rather than just keeping an eye on local issues.

Echoing Himself (who says it all right here, much better than I could), we need to not get complacent.  Indiana is actually a pretty good place to be so it's easy to fall into bad habits and not stay aware of what the state and feds are doing.  But we need to stay on Visclosky, Lugar, and especially old guy/new guy Coats and make sure that they know that if they don't toe the line, this is the last ride for them (Lugar is up in 2012, I believe so hopefully he'll man up and act like he actually listens to the people of Indiana).   We also need to keep an eye on the state and local folks. The property tax cap passed, which I think is marvelous--if they can't get any more  money, then they'll actually have to learn to be good stewards of the money they do get.  Of course you know they are going to take this to the absolute limit so we'll have to keep County board folks on speed dial as well.

All in all, a pretty successful night for the GOP as run by the Tea Party.  New they'll have to work to keep what they've won because we're not going to get fooled again and I don't think we're going to be lulled into complacency either.

No comments: