Sunday, August 1, 2010

BIrds do it, bees do it.....

Okay, this time it was just the bees, but I got your attention, didn't I?  I was merrily mowing the yard when all of a sudden I got attacked by a swarm of bees (must have run over something).  Mr. B, not related to the afore-mentioned bees, having heard me yelp, spotted me coming around the corner with the swarm around my head, a panicked (probably pretty humorous from a different standpoint) look on my face, and the mower moving as fast as it would go.  He got me stopped, got the bees brushed off of me and got an anti-histamine down my gullet.  Grand total, two stings, so not bad, thanks to his quick thinking--since my brain was in lizard-flight mode.

2 comments:

Chas S. Clifton said...

There are ground-nesting bees, and there are also ground-nesting hornets.

I have had the experience of running a lawnmower over the latter, while wearing shorts ...

Midwest Chick said...

I think these were ground-nesting bees since I actually had a stinger left in my thumb (thought it was a thorn). Mr. B had just done the weed-eating there but I must have run right over the nest. They left after we went inside for a few minutes but man were they PISSED!

At least I was in pants since the day was a bit cooler. Can't imagine being in shorts and having that happen, especially with hornets. As those things go, this was not bad at all.