Monday, July 26, 2010

A Day at the Ranges...

Went to the range with Mr. B, Og, and Partner yesterday.  Spent quite a bit of time poking holes in paper with my Beretta .22 at 25 yards.  Managed to keep just about everything in the black, which I thought was pretty good considering there was a fairly strong breeze yesterday (Og said it was the perfect excuse should any of us have an off day).  I got to shoot Og's .380 (I told him I'd take REAL good care of it if he wanted to loan it to me for a year or so but just got a look and a shake of the head)--very nice and hardly any kick. 

Once we switched to the bowling pin range, the fun really started.  I like decimating targets but there's just something viscerally satisfying about having something go plunk when you shoot it.  I was 5 for 5 or 6 to 5 in knocking the pins down but just couldn't get them off the table even when shooting Mr. B's .45 (Para 1911, also very nice).  I don't even try my Taurus Millennium Pro at the bowling pin range since it's a double-action and I just can't fire quickly enough with the long trigger pull.

All told, it was a fantastic day to be outside and the only reason we left was that we were out of ammo, and that's pretty cool.

6 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

I concur about things going plunk. Steel plate is some of the most satisfying shooting in the world, to me. I like the audio feedback of a target that screams. (that didn't sound right, did it? :P )

og said...

It waa a cracking good time. I hope to be able to do it again soon.

Midwest Chick said...

phlegmmmy: I think it's the immediate gratification factor--with a plunk, a plink, or a scream () you know you hit and did it well. With paper targets you either have to look through the scope or wait to go downrange--takes too long. Maybe we should invent targets that go 'arrgggggh' when you hit the x ring.

og: It was, wasn't it? Couldn't ask for a nicer day, especially at the end of July! Next time we just gotta bring more ammo so we can stay out longer!!

Mr.B said...

More notice and I'll load whatever we need.....THis time I could only bring what was on the shelf.....and I only had 250 (and a bit) of .45 ACP loaded....

og said...

I need to get the sight on the 1911 silver soldered on and the slide reblued, then I'll be more capable of having some bowling pin annihilation.

郭俊緯郭俊緯 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................