Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Overestimating one's relevance to the conversation....

Apparently Rage Against the Machine (a band I've never listened to knowingly) is upset about the Arizona Immigration Law and has decided to mobilize a boycott of the state and 'protest concerts' (via Big Government) by musicians.  Something that I think Hollywood and musicians need to learn (and some are figuring this out) is that the regular public really doesn't give a rat's half-eaten ass about what they have to say about, well, anything (big exception is Kevin Costner who's actually trying to SOLVE a problem pro-actively).  They might influence some teeny-bopper pre-adolescents with their tantrums, but I can't really think they will have an effect on public policy with a 70% approval rating within the state of Arizona.

I think the thing is that people are tired of platitudes and lip service, which is all we're getting from Hollywood and its ilk.  We're seeing too much of that in the White House (hello to the government, could you please rein in the EPA so that the Dutch and Kevin Costner's brother can actually take care of the oil spill, you wankers?)  Protests and Performance Art (see Tam's snark about the Hands Across the Sand 'protest') just aren't going to fly anymore.  Committees and ruminations won't fly anymore. 

Action, real action, not performances, are the only thing that will fly.

6 comments:

atomic-fungus said...

It's good for one thing: when they self-identify as total morons, it lets me know who NOT to read/watch/listen to.

Midwest Chick said...

I was really glad there was a list associated with the article. I can't say that I listen to any of them anyway so it saves me having to check my IPod and create a playlist consisting of just dumbasses.

Brigid said...

They all probably all have WWABD bracelets (what would Alec Baldwin do?)

宛真宛真 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。.................................................................

Ragin' Dave said...

Rage Against the Machine - aka - Rage Against my Allowance. A band that demonized capitalism while getting rich off of capitalism. If you had a nickel for every Leftist cliche they put in their music, you'd be stinking rich. And then they would write a song about how evil you are for being rich, and sell that song to get rich.

I'm guessing that this is their cry for relevance, since they haven't put out anything worth mentioning for a decade or so.

Midwest Chick said...

RD: Ahhh... So I won't be adding them to my playlist anytime soon. Guess I haven't missed much! Thanks for the info!!

Brigid: LOL!! I used to like Alec's acting until he started thinking he was politically relevant as well. Don't think much of his parenting skills either.