Friday, June 4, 2010

The Kool-Aid they were selling was not to my taste.....

Sorry I haven't posted all week--I was off to a nerd-fest conference.  One of the propagandists keynote speakers is from a foundation whose purpose and raison d'etre is to get more kids into and out of college.  He was speaking from a point of view wherein you cannot be happy or healthy or content if you do not have a college education.  His foundation is integral to trying to create federal standards for education in order to further that goal (in other words, at the base, they are statists).  So I could not bring myself to even acknowledge their base premise because I don't think it's necessary and I think the push to get people into college is actually detrimental to society.  I think it's one way of creating a system of indoctrination and elitists (please to witness Obama and company as Exhibit A).  I also think that the studies and reports saying that a person is going to earn more money, etc. is one way to create dissatisfaction within the American public and pave the way for more government intrusion into our lives (please to witness the attempts of the government to take over K-12 education using college as a carrot as Exhibit B).

Fortunately I was saved from having to commit career hara-kiri by a gentleman who pointed out that all of the discussions regarding the need for everyone to go to college are peopled with those who have gone to college--non-college persons aren't part of those conversations so there might be some bias (duh).  Someone else pointed out that college costs are skyrocketing and by pushing students to go to college, then the debt-load on them, their families (oddly enough the taxpayers weren't mentioned but this was an academic conference, so maybe not-so-much odd), would be such that it could be detrimental to the economy as a whole.  Also, if everyone is the educated eliteratti, then who is going to fix the pipes, build the buildings, and re-wire the electric in the McMansion that they can't afford?

Bias, indeed.

3 comments:

og said...

ooh, "eliteratti". I like that. I'm stealing it.

I'll give you credit, of course, but that's too damned good not to use over and over again.

Linoge said...

Coming from a military background like I did, my parents not only brought me up disdaining the fallacy of "a college education is required for future success", but I also saw how specious such a claim is first-hand. The money some of my sailors were making when they retired, or even separated early, puts my current paycheck to shame, even with my GT degree.

This is not to say you can always get by with just your GED, but the "absolute" knife cuts both ways.

Midwest Chick said...

Og--use it at will. Glad you like it.

Linoge--My dad is an electrician, my brother is a painter. Both do and have done very well for themselves and their families. Maybe that's why the bias inherent in speeches like the one I sat through are so apparent.

And the way that some folks treat my dad when they've called him out on Thanksgiving or Christmas or in the middle of a storm truly chap my butt. Rude, rude, rude--driven by their elitist attitudes even as they need the service he provides (and trying to get some of them to actually pay their bills is an interesting proposition too).