Saturday, May 29, 2010

Aqualung revisted--Joe McGinniss

I've been reading and hearing about Joe McGinniss, an author, who according to his Wikipedia page (I'm not going to bother linking, you can look up the slimebag yourself if you feel like it), earned his way writing about true crime, etc., and who is now writing a book about Sarah Palin, has moved in next door to her in Alaska.

Yes it's a free country and yes the neighbor had every right to rent to this guy and no, I don't give a rat's ass about the reasons why.  Yes, it's totally a publicity stunt since it looks like he has only one original piece of work in the last decade.  So why does the song 'Aqualung' keep going through my head when I read about this guy??  Because he's an old creepy guy who deliberately moved next door to a person about whom he's writing.  He's been very careful to stay within the bounds of the law, just as any good sociopath would but there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed.  It's quite funny that he's feeling the need to put up 'no trespassing signs' when ABC news started knocking on the door of his rented stalker-cave. (ht, JammieWearingFool whose blogpost title says it all).  Privacy for me, but not for thee--the basic liberal mindset.

Now I read a lot and I have written to the Broadway Books imprint of Random House (crownpublicity@randomhouse.com) and told them that I'm going to avoid the Broadway Books imprint and will make every attempt to avoid Random House as well (that's going to be more difficult due to the almost incestuous nature of publishing) but the thought is there.

But here's some Jethro Tull so everyone can have it in their heads too when they think of Stalker Joe.

2 comments:

Chas S. Clifton said...

The only book of his that I recall reading was Fatal Vision, about the Green Beret doctor who (most likely) killed his own family and then tried to blame their deaths on marauding hippie cultists whom no one could ever find. It was good.

But moving next door to Palin to write about her suggests that someone has sure given him a big advance on the book.

Midwest Chick said...

I'm sure he got a huge advance but I don't think his sales are going to pan out due to this particular stunt. Lots of folks that don't like Palin still think it's creepy and it's not been all the publisher hoped, I think.