Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Poison Ivy AGAIN!

Got poison ivy again, despite both Mr. B and myself being hyper-vigilant.  This usually necessitates a trip to the doctor for a nice steroid shot and a follow-up pac for a couple of weeks.  I'm trying my damnest to avoid this (but my arm is really, REALLY looking gross right about now--got a nice huge set of blisters) because the only time my GP has seen me in the last two years is to prescribe me steroids and put a shot in my butt and I'm sure it's not fun for him either. 

So I stopped by the local Walgreens and grabbed just about everything they had for poison ivy.  I'm trying a new (to me) product that's gotten mixed reviews on amazon, called Zenfel, followed up by Benedryl lotion.  What I'd really like to do, being the masochistic type and all, is break the whole thing open, slather it with baking soda paste and take my chances on a secondary infection since I've heard that it's about as effective as anything else.  Maybe some rubbing alcohol in the open wounds just to make it all as fun as possible.  Seriously, it would be better than just looking oozy and blistery.  At least it's not itchy but aside from that, it sucks big-time.

4 comments:

lisa said...

My son got poison ivy in camp a few years ago and the camp nurse gave him something called IvyOff. It cleared up his rash in just a few days and it stopped the itching. She sent it home with him and my husband used it after mowing down a whole bunch of it in the backyard. I tried to get it in the store, but I could only find it online. You might want to try it because it's the only thing we use now since I know it works! Good luck!

Midwest Chick said...

Thanks Lisa! I'll give it a shot!

og said...

I have issues with ivy, myt backyard is thick with it. I've been hospitalized because of it. I use OnGuard.

http://ongard.net/newpages.html
It's not perfect, but it helps.

Until it heals, get a pair of tattoo sleeves.

http://www.bewild.com/auslontasl.html

Midwest Chick said...

I haven't ended up in the hospital but do usually end up at the doctor. Turns out I have exactly the same reaction to stinging nettle as poison ivy. Doesn't help the result, but now I know. I'll get some ongard since sure as shit I'll stumble into poison ivy sooner or later again and the sleeves will work to cover up the lovely oozing blisters on my arm.....