Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sometimes my mind works in odd ways....

My mom called today and asked me if I'd enjoy having  a Kindle or a Nook or some other e-book reader.  I told her that, despite all other technologies that I use, I still enjoy books--the feel, the smell--being able to drop one in the tub and not have to spend $200 on a new reader.  Additionally, after the incident with Amazon and 1984, where they just disappeared it off everyone's reader without a by-your-leave, I think I'll keep my books.  They can try to come and snatch them out of my hands.

I told her that I'd probably end up like the old woman at the beginning of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  If they came to burn my books, I'd stand in them and light the match.

"Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."

(Hugh Latimer to Nicholas Ridley as they were about to be burned at the stake as heretics during the reign of Queen Mary I of England.)

No comments: