Thursday, January 28, 2010

Something that just jelled for me from the SOTU address

One of the things that I've been hearing about a lot, and have even blogged about, is that the folks in power in Washington right now, for the most part, seem to have elitist 'we're smarter than you because we're elite and we know better because we went to Ivy League schools'.  I don't think that any single quote from the SOTU address last night exemplifies that attitude like this one regarding the health care reform bill:
Still, this is a complex issue, and the longer it was debated, the more skeptical people became. I take my share of the blame for not explaining it more clearly to the American people. And I know that with all the lobbying and horse-trading, the process left most Americans wondering, "What's in it for me?"
For my part, I'd like for him to TRY to explain the ins-and-outs of a 2200 page bill using small words that even I, since I did not attend Harvard, can understand.  I have to admit that I took almost personal umbrage at that last line too since it showed a complete lack of understanding of the problem that the American people were having with the bribes that were being given for Senatorial votes.  The problem wasn't that Americans were wondering "what's in it for ME?" (since we know that it's higher taxes, lack of choices, and small businesses going under) but we were wondering "what's in it for THEM?"  He also seemed to try to blame outside lobbyists for actions that Congress itself was doing in-house.  It's not like a lobbyist offered Ben Nelson anything--it was the Democratic leadership of the United States Congress.

Like Mr. B said in his first draft of the STFU SOTU Address:
Let me be clear: if you folks would have just let me do what I wanted I would have made your lives better. I, and my fellow Democrats know what is best for you. I would have taken care of you, and would have changed things so that everyone would have been equally unhappy, rather than a few of you getting more than everyone else and the unproductive segment of our society would have been elevated to the level of the rest of you productive citizens. Understand me here: I, and those I surround myself with are EDUCATED. We know better, and are smarter, than the rest of you., and you folks had damned well better learn that.

No comments: