Friday, October 21, 2011

When seconds count, the cops are tens of minutes away...

I'm reposting this based on a link from SayUncle regarding Securing Your Home.  I think it's worth revisiting.  The video is now archived but it clearly illustrates the value of securing your home.  This woman had and was able to defend herself when the intruder did make it into the house.  She had dogs that alerted her, fences, and locked doors.  She was still forced to take action, but she had plenty of warning so she could.



ANYONE who has ever gotten into a discussion with a person about why citizens need guns for self-defense, need to have those people listen to the video embedded in this article (ht Bookworm Room).  Donna Jackson was on the phone to 911 while a man, whose corpse was later identified as Billy Riley, was trying to break into her house.  After ten minutes, he used a piece of patio furniture to break through the sliding glass door and she was forced to shoot him with a 16 gauge shotgun.

Let me reiterate that:  after TEN minutes, the police were still not at her house.  She was in a home surrounded by a fence with a locked gate.  The man had to go over the fence to get to the house.  The woman remained calm during the whole thing and also made sure that the police knew that her dog (who had woken her up) was police friendly and made sure they knew his name.  The dispatcher did her job and assured the woman that if the man got into the house, she was cleared to defend herself when it was clear that there were no other options.  Mrs. Jackson told the dispatcher her every move--I have the shotgun, I'm taking it off safety, I don't want to shoot him but if he comes through the door, I will.  We also hear her reaction (the audio is over 30 minutes).

I can't imagine what would have happened if she had not been armed or what the audio would have sounded like and I'm glad we don't have to find out.

Mrs. Jackson will now have to find a new hiding place for her keys and I think her son will need a new cell number since both were included in the audio, but those are small prices for her safety.  I'm holding her in my thoughts that she will always know that she did what was necessary.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Excellent post, and the audio is chilling... And thankfully she was armed and willing.

Midwest Chick said...

NFO--it really struck a chord with me and I use it as an example all of the time. I'm glad she was able to defend herself but am sorry she actually had to pull the trigger.