Monday, December 28, 2009

How not to win an election....

I was listening to WLS this morning and heard an ad from Andy Martin, who is running against Mark Kirk in the Republican primary for Senator (Obama's seat).  What I heard was an advertisement that is guaranteed to lose and it made Andy Martin (who I've never heard of until now) sound like a total nutter (looking at his biography on his website kind of clinches that whole nutter thing). 

The whole advert was basically that Andy Martin thinks that Mark Kirk is a homosexual, that Kirk's joined the Republican homosexual club, and that Kirk has surrounded himself with homosexuals.  There was one line about how Andy Martin fights corruption which basically made it sound like being a homosexual is corrupt.

I looked at Andy Martin's website and he seems like a conservative kind of guy--pro 1st and 2nd Amendments (good), pro High Speed rail (dumb).  His website goes after Kirk for voting for Cap and Trade, etc. which I think is valid (I blogged about this because Kirk claimed he read the whole 1000+ pages of the Cap and Trade bill in one day and I just don't think so), but his commercial makes him sound like a rabid gay-basher.

Now I really don't have a dog in this hunt since I don't live in Illinois and I think that Kirk is a bit too crunchy granola (a Democrat in Republican clothing), but geez louise, if the conservatives are coming out with gay conspiracy theories (that they didn't relate to any of Kirk's politics) to the point where WLS had a disclaimer after the spot saying that they are mandated by federal law to run tripe like Martin's advertisement, then the Republicans are showing that they really have lost the plot.  Any person who advertises themselves as "America's Internet Powerhouse" should know better.

No comments: