Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I Hates Meeces to Pieces!!

Sometimes, due to back problems, we sleep on the floor since even a Sleep Number Bed set to 1,000,000 is not firm enough all of the time.  This isn't a problem and I generally sleep better--I put down several blankets and we've got some nice quilts so it's actually quite cozy.  However, last night we had a mouse in the house. 

Now I'm usually pretty good with critters and creepy crawlies--I've wrangled wood roaches in Tennessee, centipedes in Massachusetts, and spiders of various shapes and sizes just about everywhere I've lived.  BUT, my achilles' heel of the pest world is the mouse.  They totally just ook me out.  I don't know why, but they do.  I will scream like a five year old girl and will head to the highest point near me if I see a mouse.  It's just one of those things.  Yes, it's embarrassing, yes, I feel dumb, no, I can't do anything about it.

You would think that, with three young cats in the house, that mice would not be a problem.  However, we were out of town last weekend and left them the open feeder so they presently look like furry bowling balls with ears and tails.  So they were enjoying CHASING the mouse but didn't seem interested in the coup de gras.  B got up at 1:15 and moved a BUNCH of stuff to allow them access to the mouse so that the circle of life could complete itself, but to no avail.

Fast forward to 5:00 am. 

We're snug in our nest on the floor and the mouse decides to join us by running across my arm, down my body and from there, to points unknown.  I discovered at that moment that by chanting 'shit, shit, shit' at high speed and at an octave only dogs and bats can hear, my superpower of teleportation kicks in and I make it OVER B and onto the bed without moving through the intervening space.  Apparently the little rodent also has superpowers because I still don't know where the furry interloper went. 

B thinks it was a dream.  I'm pretty sure that I was a mouse-highway for a few seconds.

So the cats are now on a crash diet because we are SO not having a repeat of THAT!

2 comments:

Mr.B said...

Chicken!

Dream, certainly......Or a nightmare.

Midwest Chick said...

Yes, mice will send me scurrying up a wall faster than anything else. Got a phobia, can't quite get past it. Hopefully the cats will leave a carcass on the kitchen floor as a present (did I actually say that??).